Banish the midweek "blues" with this blueberry goodness tonight!!
Buttermilk Blueberry Cake
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp. lemon zest or more — zest from 1 large lemon
3/4 of a cup packed brown sugar1 egg, room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour (white whole wheat worked great)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
½ cup buttermilk1 tablespoon granulated sugar for sprinkling on top
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cream butter with lemon zest and 3/4 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.
- 2. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
- 3. Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.
- 4. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar) with butter or coat with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with tablespoon of granulated sugar. Bake for 45 minutes. Check with a toothpick for done-ness. Depending on your oven you may need more or less time. Start checking for done-ness and desired "golden-ness" (I'm liking the "ness" words today!) at about 35 minutes.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.