Find some old-fashioned comfort with this dish today!
3/4 cup of sugar
2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
2 cups milk (I use 1%)
2 egg yolks, beaten
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 box Nilla Wafers
2-3 large bananas, sliced
- Mix together sugar & flour in a medium saucepan, over low heat.
- Gradually add milk, whisking constantly
- Allow the sugar/milk mixture cook on low, stirring often, until it thickens and starts to bubble (Watch carefully and make sure you keep it over low. Milk scalds easily. This part feels like it takes forever, which it kinda does. It's worth it though and I promise, it does eventually thicken!)
- Once the mixture thickens, add 4 Tbsp. of the thickened mixture to the beaten eggs (this acclimates the eggs to the pudding temperature, slowly).
- Add the eggs to the milk/sugar mixture and stir. Allow to cook over low heat for 2 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla, mix well.
- Now you are ready to layer! Nilla Wafers, Banana Slices, Pudding, Nilla Wafers, Banana, Pudding Nilla Wafers.
Click here for printable recipe