Kitchen Creations

Monday, January 28, 2013

Guinea For Jason


This recipe has made its rounds in several different forms, but one thing remains the same, it's completely addictive.  I was introduce to it by my lovely friend Amy and she called it chocolate crack, due to its addictive nature.  Well I was soon concocting my own batches of the stuff in my kitchen and becoming quite the addict myself.  At some point I decided I needed to bring this stuff to school and "share the wealth" or I'd be 2000 pounds soon!  I asked my colleague Jason if he'd like to be my guinea pig and try some treats I brought.  He misunderstood, mostly on purpose, and looked appalled that I wanted him to try guinea pig.  Well the "guinea pig" was tasted, adored and laughingly renamed, "Guinea".  Now I'm asked, "You got the guinea" on a regular basis.

So Jason, this one's for you!  Everyone else, beware!  This is shockingly easy to make and way too good to stop eating once you've succumbed!


Guinea (aka Chocolate Crack)  
Ingredients:
Graham Crackers (about 2 bags)
Butter (1-2 cups)
Brown Sugar (1-2 cups) - hey, I never said this was healthy!
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Chocolate Chips (1 -2 cups - depending on how much chocolate you want)
** Toasted Coconut, Toffee bits, Nuts, etc (optional)

Method:
  • Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
  • Line a baking sheet with foil
  • Lay graham crackers down over the foil.  I like to break mine along the perforations and line them up.  It makes breaking them apart later, easier.
  • On stove top, melt butter in a medium saucepan.  Here's where you can decide to do the "healthy" version or the "over the top"  version.  I have not yet been brave enough to do the over the top.  My mind resists anything that calls for 2 cups of butter.  I just can't do it.
  • Once butter is melted add the brown sugar (1 cup if you did 1 cup of butter, and 2 cups if you did 2 cups of butter).  Stir until sugar incorporates into the butter. The mixture will bubble and thicken a bit.
  • Once the brown sugar melts and incorporates add vanilla and stir.
  • Next pour the mixture over the graham crackers.
  • Now bake 5-7 minutes or until the "toffee" becomes bubbly.
  • Now remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over - I typically use 1 cup.  Otherwise I feel like the chocolate overwhelms the toffee flavor.
  • Now return to oven for 1 minute and remove again, spreading melted chocolate chips over the graham cracker/toffee with a spatula.
  • Now you can add the "optional" extras if you'd like
  • At this point you can let it cool or refrigerate or freeze it until it hardens, then break it up and store in an airtight container.

*Note:  My friend Stacy has made this substituting pretzels for the graham crackers.  Another delicious alternative!!!

Click here for printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment