So have the whole enchilada with this casserole tonight!
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
* Adapted from Pinch of Yum food blog
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 15-20 oz can of enchilada sauce (or make your own, but that is NOT minimal or easy)
- 2 cups of shredded cheese (I really enjoy medium cheddar on this!)
- 6-8 whole wheat flour tortillas (the size of the tortilla will determine the number you need)
- 1 can of refried beans (We prefer refried black beans.)
- 1 handful chopped cilantro
- 2-3 diced green onions (optional, but a really great addition)
- Cook and shred the chicken. You can boil it or bake it. Make sure if you bake it to use a pan with a lid and have plenty of water in the pan so the chicken doesn't become tough.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spread a couple spoonfuls of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9X9 (or so) baking dish.
- Place two tortillas at the bottom of the dish. You can overlap them to cover the entire surface. Then layer beans, chicken, cheese, cilantro, onions, sauce, and tortillas, then repeat once. This will make 2 layers.
- Make sure to keep some sauce and cheese to finish off the top of the casserole.