Kitchen Creations

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

In love with rhubarb

I fell in love with rhubarb when I was in 2nd grade and living in Southern Illinois.  I was visiting my friend, Rebecca, and having a blast swinging from the hayloft in her barn and running around her huge yard.  That evening after dinner came strawberry-rhubarb pie. I'd never even heard of rhubarb.  I tasted it and was instantly besotted.  I came home and demanded a reason for never having tasted this delicious..... fruit? vegetable? What is it?  My mom's answer.... "because I can't stand it".  So fast-forward years later to Yakima, Washington and the gigantic and ever-producing rhubarb plants in my yard.  Now I have more rhubarb than I know what to do with.  I freeze it, make sauces, make crumbles, pies and jam, anything and everything.  I now have a delightful addition to my rhubarb arsenal, rhubarb upside-down cake.  It's inspiration is taken from the pear-cranberry upside-down cake I blogged on a couple years ago.  Sweet and tart combined with thick, spiced cake and crusty edges.  Mmmmmmm, so good.   Such a good reason to fire up the oven in 100 degree weather!!!

Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake    

Ingredients:
  Topping - 
  3 cups of sliced rhubarb
  1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  2 Tbsp. flour
  1/4 tsp. of nutmeg
  1/4 cup butter or coconut oil

  Cake Batter -
  1/4 cup melted butter or coconut oil
  1/2 cup sugar
  1 egg
  1.5 cups of flour - I used white whole wheat
  1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  1/4 tsp. salt
  2/3 cup of almond milk

Method:
*  Heat oven to 350 degrees and place 9" round cake pan into the oven with the 1/4 cup of butter or coconut oil
*  Stir together the rhubarb, brown sugar, flour and nutmeg
*  Once butter/oil is melted, remove pan from oven and add the rhubarb mixture.
*  Mix together dry ingredients for the cake batter and then add the wet ingredients to the dry.
*  Mix dry and wet ingredients together and spread atop the rhubarb mixture.
*  Place cake pan back into the 350 degree oven and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
*  Remove from oven and run a butter knife around the cake pan edge.
*  Turn cake over onto a platter
*  Enjoy!

Click here for a printable recipe

1 comment:

  1. Gretchen, I don't remember saying "I can't stand it." My reason for not liking it was that the first time I tasted it just as I was swallowing it a youngster described in vivid detail what she thought cooked rhubarb looked like - couldn't swallow it from that point on. Now that I have spent 20 years working in a Ear NOSE and Throat office - maybe I should give it another try. I don't think the description would make me nearly as uncomfortable now. :)
    Mom

    ReplyDelete