I fell in love with rhubarb when I was in 2nd grade and living in Southern Illinois. I was visiting my friend, Rebecca, and having a blast swinging from the hayloft in her barn and running around her huge yard. That evening after dinner came strawberry-rhubarb pie. I'd never even heard of rhubarb. I tasted it and was instantly besotted. I came home and demanded a reason for never having tasted this delicious..... fruit? vegetable? What is it? My mom's answer.... "because I can't stand it". So fast-forward years later to Yakima, Washington and the gigantic and ever-producing rhubarb plants in my yard. Now I have more rhubarb than I know what to do with. I freeze it, make sauces, make crumbles, pies and jam, anything and everything. I now have a delightful addition to my rhubarb arsenal, rhubarb upside-down cake. It's inspiration is taken from the pear-cranberry upside-down cake I blogged on a couple years ago. Sweet and tart combined with thick, spiced cake and crusty edges. Mmmmmmm, so good. Such a good reason to fire up the oven in 100 degree weather!!!
Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
3 cups of sliced rhubarb
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. of nutmeg
1/4 cup butter or coconut oil
Cake Batter -
1/4 cup melted butter or coconut oil
1/2 cup sugar
1.5 cups of flour - I used white whole wheat
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cup of almond milk
* Heat oven to 350 degrees and place 9" round cake pan into the oven with the 1/4 cup of butter or coconut oil
* Stir together the rhubarb, brown sugar, flour and nutmeg
* Once butter/oil is melted, remove pan from oven and add the rhubarb mixture.
* Mix together dry ingredients for the cake batter and then add the wet ingredients to the dry.
* Mix dry and wet ingredients together and spread atop the rhubarb mixture.
* Place cake pan back into the 350 degree oven and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
* Remove from oven and run a butter knife around the cake pan edge.
* Turn cake over onto a platter
Click here for a printable recipe