So enjoy your dinner on the floor or at the table tonight with this cinnamon laden delight!
Eggplant & Chick-pea Tagine
2 medium eggplants, cut into cubes
2 zucchini, thickly sliced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cup brown cap mushrooms, halved
1 Tbsp ground coriander
2 tsp. cumin seeds
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp. ground turmeric
1 cup vegetable broth
5 medium Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
1 6-oz can of tomato paste
1 Tbsp chili sauce (whatever your favorite is)
2 cups chick-peas
salt and ground black pepper
chopped fresh coriander (also known as cilantro) for garnish
- Sprinkle salt over the eggplant and zucchini once it is cubed/sliced and leave for 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry with a dish towel.
- Place eggplant and zucchini on a baking sheet and spray with olive oil. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes, until tender and golden.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a large sauce pan. Saute onion for 5 minutes, until tender. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the mushrooms and cook another 3 minutes, until tender. Add the spices and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add 1/2 cup of vegetable broth, this will help "de-glaze" the pan if any of the spices or vegetables have stuck to the bottom.
- Add the potatoes and cook for 3 minutes, stirring.
- Add the tomato paste and stir well.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of vegetable broth and stir in.
- Cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in the eggplant, zucchini, chili sauce and chick-peas.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes more. Add water or more broth if the stew/tagine becomes too dry.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh coriander/cilantro and serve!
Click here for printable version