Kitchen Creations

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Zingy & Zesty

I LOVE lemons and lemon bars are among my favorite treats of all time.  That sweet-tart goodness just can't be beat, at least for me.  That is why these little beauties caught my eye immediately as I searched for a new treat to make for our small group study Tuesday night.  I found it at grouprecipes.com. These looked like something a little different having some creaminess to them and yet retaining that zingy, zesty lemon flavor I adore.  I added splash of vanilla to my lemon cream filling.  I have one word to describe the taste, YUM!! I also have one word to describe the prep, EASY!  I can assure you these will be a regular at our house now.

Creamy Lemon Oat Bars 
Ingredients:
14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
1 Tbsp. lemon zest
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened

Method:
1.)  Heat oven to 375 degrees
2.)  Combine milk, lemon zest, lemon juice & vanilla together in a large bowl. Stir until mixture is thickened.

3.)  In a seperate bowl combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.  Mix well.
4.)  Add softened butter to flour-oat mixture and combine well - should be somewhat crumbly.

5.)  Press half of the flour-oat mixture into the bottom of an 8X8 pan (or something close to that) and bake for 10 minutes

6.)  Pour lemon mixture over bottom crust and spread evenly.

7.)  Sprinkle remaining flour-oat mixture and press down lightly

8.)  Bake for 20 minutes, or until edges are golden.

Click here for printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment