Kitchen Creations

Monday, March 5, 2012

Ich Liebe Dich

Ich liebe dich means "I love you" in German.  Love has so many meanings and means of expression.  How do you express your deep love for someone?  Is it by touch, by words, by service, by action?  One of the ways I express my love for those in my life is through food, specifically making foods for them.  I slather them with my love by cooking or baking their favorite treats or meals or even better, by trying something new and delicious looking as a surprise.  I never feel more comfortable or loving than when I'm creating something in the kitchen.  It's as if all my creativity and love can combine to make something that shows the special people in my life what they mean to me.  Recently we had my friend Stacy and her husband Matt. along with their adorable daughter Brooklyn over for dinner. Words can't begin to express how much I love these three people.  Having them at the table with my husband and boys makes my heart sing for joy.  I made a German meal and I wanted to finish it off with a German dessert.  I wanted simple ingredients and a simple method.  I've found that simplicity can often shout love far more clearly than complex words, phrases or flavors.  I think it worked.  I think my family, which includes Stacy, Matt & Brooklyn, felt my love for them that night.  I certainly hope so. 

Here's a simple way to tell someone or several someones you love them tonight.  Ich liebe dich!

Ingredients:
  • 4 apples, peeled and sliced (also would be good with peaches or pears & cranberries!)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 ts[. ground ginger
  • 1/8/ tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 - 3 tsp. butter
  • 2 cups boiling water
Method:
  • Preheat oven to 400° F.
  • Mix together the sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger & nutmeg.

  • Add the apple slices and mix until coated with the flour mixture.
  • Add the milk that has been mixed with the vanilla.
  • Stir until everything has been moistened.  Pour into 9X9 baking dish & smooth out the top. 
  • Put on rack in oven and carefully pour the 2 cups of boiling water over the top. DO NOT STIR.  
  • Bake for 40 minutes or until top is golden brown.
  • Let cool slightly before serving. Sprinkle extra cinnamon or slivered almonds on top if desired.
  • Great with vanilla ice cream or whip cream!!!

Click here for printable recipe







No comments:

Post a Comment