Kitchen Creations

Monday, April 30, 2012

Loves me some peaches!

At the end of last summer my boys and I picked about a thousand pounds (that's not really much of an exaggeration) of peaches with our great friends Anna & Teresa.  We still have quite a frew frozen peaches from that picking extravaganza.  They call to me, often.  They are sweet and juicy and beg to be eaten.  Consequently, when I came across a recipe for "Peaches and Cream Coffee Cake" on the "Tidy Mom" food blog, I knew I must make it.  There is not a single word in that title that doesn't entice me.  I altered it because the original recipe calls for canned peach pie filling.  I had fresh/frozen peaches that I wasn't about to substitute for canned!!  I added a bit of flour to my peaches to thicken them to pie filling consistency and that worked perfectly. I also adore the flavor of ginger with peaches and so added some ginger to my peaches as well. This recipe did not disappoint on any level - simple ingredients, easy to put together, pretty and above all TASTY!!! 

Enjoy some peachy goodness tonight with your family and friends!!

Peaches n' Cream Coffee Cake
Peachy Goodness!!!
Ingredients:
  • 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 c. brown sugar, packed
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 1 cup milk (original recipe called ro heavy whipping cream but I subbed 1% milk)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 2-1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 3 cups peaches
  • 1/4 tsp. ground ginger (more if you love ginger - I used 1/2 tsp because we really love it)
  • 1-2 Tbsp. flour or cornstarch (depending on what you like to thicken your pie filling with)
  • for icing
  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 3-5 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream (or milk)


  • Method:
    • Preheat oven to 350°
    • Mix flour, salt & baking powder together and add in sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter (will be crumbly).  Take out 1 cup and save for topping.

    • Mix egg yolks with milk and add to remainder of flour mixture. Mix until very smooth.
    • Gently fold in egg whites.
    • Pour into greased springform pan - also can make in a 9X13 glass pan (bake at 375 for 45 minutes, but the springform pan is MUCH prettier!!)
    • Mix peaches with ginger and 1-2 Tbsp. flour or cornstarch
    • Spread peaches evenly over top of batter.
    • Sprinkle with crumb mixture.
    • Bake for 55-65 minutes. Until lightly brown on top.
    • Allow to cool for five minutes then remove from pan.
    • Drizzle with vanilla icing.
    For the Icing:
    1. Melt butter in microwave, then add vanilla.
    2. Slowly stir in powdered sugar. (will be clumpy)
    3. Add 3 tablespoons of cream (or milk) stir until creamy and smooth. Add more cream 1 tablespoon at a time until right consistency (runny enough to drizzle over cake).

    No comments:

    Post a Comment