Kitchen Creations

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sweet & Spicy!

My friend Stacy and I are always looking for new great ideas for dinner that involve vegetarian fare (well for her more vegan).  I came across these on that most addictive site, Pinterest.  I can't remember if I pinned them first or she did.  It doesn't really matter.  We both made them the same week.  I tweaked a few things because I'm a texture freak.  If it doesn't feel good in my mouth, it doesn't get beyond that point.  It seemed like a fantastic idea to saute the corn in spices first, but I found it made it a bit chewy and I like my corn full and bursting.  Additionally, Stacy and I both discovered that the sweet potato mixture is so creamy and flavorful that the shredded cheese on top in the original recipe isn't necessary at all.  To each her own, but in the following recipe I'll be giving the method I most prefer.  These make a great main dish for those who are into eating a plant strong diet.  I paired them with fresh fruit and a salad and all 3 of my guys were satisfied, even the bottomless pit that is my older son.

Grab some sweet potatoes and get stuffing!!!

Stuffed Mexican Sweet Potatoes 
*Adapted from "Pinch Of Yum" food blog by Stacy & Gretchen
Ingredients:


  • 3-4 medium sweet potatoes
  • 1 can corn, rinsed and patted dry
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
  • 1-2 canned chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce, minced or pureed
  • 1 ounce light cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup light sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon salt (+ more to taste)
  • 1/8 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
  • 6 tablespoons shredded cheese (Pepperjack, Cheddar, Colby Jack) - Optional!



  • Method:

    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake the sweet potatoes for 45-60 minutes.
    2. While sweet potatoes are baking, combine corn with a sprinkle of salt and cumin (feel free to add any other Mexican seasoning in the amounts that work for you) in a medium bowl.  
    3. Saute the onion in the butter over medium heat until soft and translucent. Set aside.
    4. Remove sweet potatoes from the oven when fork-tender. Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Cut the sweet potatoes in half. Scrape out the insides of the sweet potatoes out, leaving the skins intact. (as much as possible).  Leaving some of the sweet potato in the skin helps keep the skins whole.
    5. Mix the sweet potato that you've scooped out of the sweet potatoes with the cream cheese, sour cream, chipotle peppers, and salt. You can use a mixer or just a spoon, depending on how soft the potatoes are. When well-mixed, gently stir in the black beans, roasted corn, sauteed onions, and cilantro.
      I could eat this all by itself!!
    6. Scoop the filling into the skins and top each with 1 tablespoon shredded cheese. Broil for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. 
    Before the oven


     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment