Kitchen Creations

Sunday, July 8, 2012

It's Berry Good!

One of the best parts of summer are the berries.  Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries!!!  I love berries.  I've also discovered I love them with rhubarb and peaches, some of the other wonderful "plants" of summer!!  I had rhubarb, peaches and blackberries still in my freezer from last summer and needed to clear them all out for the next crops coming in.   What's a girl to do???  Make a crisp of course, a peach-rhubarb-blackberry crisp to be exact.  In case you are wondering, there were no recipes for this particular flavor combination, until now!!!  I looked through about 50 different "crisp" recipes and combined some of the ideas I found their with some from my own imagination and came up with this delectable recipe.  My small group Bible study got to taste test again and they were all pretty happy with it, including one of our favorite 2 year olds - Lewis!
Lewis chowing down. 
The helmet was my boys' idea, to keep Lewis safe from injury.
  So have some tonight, you'll be licking your lips like Lewis!

Peach-Rhubarb-Blackberry Crisp 
Ingredients:
  Filling:
1/2 cup brown sugar
5 Tbsp. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. salt
3 cups frozen or fresh rhubarb, sliced 
   (Note: If the rhubarb is frozen you'll want to thaw it completely and drain in a colandar, but don't squeeze the liquid out of it.)
2 1/2 cups frozen or fresh peaches, sliced
2 cups frozen or fresh blackberries
  Topping: - I double this topping because I like LOTS of yummy crunchiness on top! I'm giving 
  you the single batch version in case you like sparse topping or to play with the amounts yourself.
1/2 cup flour (I used white whole wheat)
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. salt
7-8 Tbsp. butter, cubed

Method:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine all ingredients for filling in a large bowl and mix well.
Transfer to a 9X13 baking dish.
Love all the vibrant color in this dish!

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon & salt.  Mix well.
Add in the cubed butter and mix with fork or fingers until the mixture is wet but still crumbles.  (This is a thicker crumble on top).
Crumble topping over berry/peach/rhubarb mixture.
This topping is so good I could eat it by itself!

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes - or until top is golden and fruit mixture is bubbly.



Click here for printable recipe.





No comments:

Post a Comment