Enjoy a big bowl of this healthy yumminess tonight!
Thai Fried Quinoa
*Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats food blog
1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 cup lite coconut milk
1 cup chicken broth
1 tsp. olive oil
5 green onions, chopped
2 Tablespoons minced ginger
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
1 cup frozen edamame
1-8oz can pineapple tidbits, drained
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2-4 Tablespoons soy sauce (I used 4 because we like the flavor)
juice of half a lime
chopped cashews or peanuts (optional)
- Place rinsed quinoa in a saucepan over high heat. Add coconut milk and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, place a lid on top, turn the heat down to medium-low, and cook until all the liquid has been absorbed and quinoa is tender. It takes about 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and spray with olive oil (or add to pan and swirl to distribute evenly). Add green onions, ginger, and garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly so the garlic doesn't burn.
- Next add the edamame, pineapple tidbits, and cilantro and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Push the ingredients to the sides of the pan, creating a clear space in the center. Whisk the eggs together in a small bowl, then pour into the pan. Stir with a spatula until the eggs are scrambled, then stir to combine with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add cooked quinoa, soy sauce and lime juice to the pan, and stir to combine. Cook for an additional minute or two, or until the quinoa begins to crisp up. Serve with optional chopped nuts on top.