Kitchen Creations

Friday, February 1, 2013

Easy Lasagna

My older son LOVES lasagna.  I don't really like making it much.  Lots of steps, lots of time involved.  I LOVE easy crock-pot meals.  I found this recipe for crock-pot lasagna and it felt like a match made in heaven.  I tried it out last night.  I was very low on energy and in this recipe I didn't even have to cook the noodles first!  I was hoping this worked out well.  I was concerned because you wouldn't get the crusty cheese top.  Would it be as good?  Would it be too liquidy?  Wait!  I didn't have enough of the thick sauce and now have to substitute my own homemade sauce, but it's thinner!  I did it anyway.  It was smelling great and looking great.  Now for the true test, taste!  It was winner all over.  This is the crusty cheese kind, but this is the melty goodness that satisfies in every way.  My sister also gave me a great idea when we discussed this recipe today.  You could use a kitchen torch (ala creme brulee) to get that nice crusty cheese on top!!!

Dive into this cheesy goodness soon!!

Crock-pot Lasagna

Ingredients:
12 whole wheat lasagna noodles
2 large jars pasta sauce (your favorite - thicker is going to make for a thicker lasagna, thinner is more soupy)
2 16-ounce containers of small curd cottage cheese (or ricotta)
2 eggs
1 10-ounce package of frozen spinach
2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 package spaghetti sauce spice mix (this is optional, but I really liked the flavor it added)
1 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese

Method: 
  • Thaw spinach in microwave (2 minutes on high) and then squeeze out extra liquid using a kitchen towel.
 
  • Mix together cottage cheese/ricotta, eggs, nutmeg, spaghetti sauce, spinach, 1/2 cup of Mozzarella Cheese and 1/4 cup of Parmesan Cheese.
 
  • Layer 1 cup pasta sauce at the bottom of the crock-pot. Next layer 4 lasagna noodles (breaking as needed).  Now 1 more cup of sauce, then the cheese-spinach mixture.  Then another layer of 4 noodles and another cup of sauce and then the remaining  cheese-spinach mixture.  Top off with 4 more noodles and the remainder of the sauce.  
 
  • Place the lid on the crock-pot and cook on low for 5-6 hours (I did 6).  
  • In the last 10-15 minutes add the remaining cheese.  Cover and cook until ready to serve.


Enjoy with a nice salad and some crusty French bread.

Click here for printable recipe     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment