Sweet & Sour Vegetable Bean Hotpot
2 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
3 Tbsp. Butter
1/3 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/4 cups tomato sauce
2/3 cup of pear juice (apple would work too, but I had pear on hand)
4 Tbsp. light brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 cup Vodka (optional - the original recipe called for Sherry, but I only had Vodka on hand)
1 can navy beans
1 can butter beans
1 can chick-peas
2 cups green beans
1 cup shallots, sliced
3 cups sliced mushrooms
1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
1 Tbsp. fresh marjoram
salt and ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Thinly slice the potatoes and boil them for 4 minutes. Drain the potatoes and toss them with the olive oil, making sure they are coated all over. Set them aside.
- Melt the butter and add the flour, tomato sauce, pear juice, sugar, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce and vodka in a large saucepan. Heat gently while whisking until sauce begins to boil and thickens. Simmer for 3 more minutes, stirring continuously.
- Rinse and drain the beans and chick-peas and add to the sauce, along with all remaining ingredients. Stir together, mixing well.
- Spoon the bean mixture into baking dish.
- Arrange the potato slices over the top of the bean mixture, overlapping them slightly, until the entire bean mixture is covered.
- Cover with foil and back for 50 minutes, then remove foil and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, until potatoes are golden.