Kitchen Creations

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Plum Good!

When we first moved to "the land of apples and hops", we got an invitation to a plum picking potluck.  I was ecstatic!  Food, fellowship & fun.  We picked over 40 pounds of plums that night.  I just couldn't stop, it was addictive.  Every time I thought I was done, I'd see a few more.  My husband had to pull me away from the trees, which involved getting me down a ladder too.  Needless to say, we had more plums than we knew what to do with.  I started creating plum bread, freezing plums, making plum sauce and the list goes on.  One of our favorite items from this plum craziness was this plum crisp.  It was the perfect blend of sweet, tart & crispy!
Try it, it's just "plum" good!!!

Gretchen's Plum Crisp
Filling:
Plums (I would estimate I ended up with about 7-8 cups, once they were pitted and chopped.  They were small damson plums, so a little more tart than other varieties).
4 Tbsp of sugar (use less if you have a sweeter plum)
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Crumble Topping
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup flour (whole wheat or white - whole wheat tasted really good)
3/4 cup of brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3/4  cup of butter

Method
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix together chopped plums, sugar and spices and let sit.
Mix together oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger & nutmeg.  Cut in butter until mixture is coarse and crumbly.
Pour plum mixture into a baking dish (I used 2 pie plates, but any deep dish pan would work.
Sprinkle the crumb topping mixture over the plums.
Bake for 40 minutes.  Let sit for 20 minutes.
Enjoy!
Bake

Click here for printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment