Enjoy some of this simple goodness tonight with your family!
Cacio e Pepe (Cheese and Pepper Pasta) and Spinach with White Beans
*From Rachael Ray's Express Lane Meals cookbook
1 pound thin spaghetti noodles
3 Tbsp. butter
5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp. coarse black pepper
1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1 10-ounce box of chopped frozen spinach
4 garlic cloves, chopped or minced
1 14-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Salt the water and add pasta to boil (according to package directions - about 6 minutes).
- ***You'll want to save 2 ladles-ful of the pasta water before you drain it!!! Don't forget
- While pasta is boiling, place a large skillet over low heat and place butter and 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil and pepper into it. Let this slowly melt until the pasta is done.
- Also while pasta is boiling, defrost the spinach in the microwave for 6 minutes on high.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil, then the garlic, cook garlic for 2 minutes.
- Now add the beans to garlic.
- Next add the spinach to the beans, breaking it up as you drop it into the pan.
- Season the spinach and beans with nutmeg, salt and pepper
- When the pasta is done remember to reserve 2 ladles-ful of the pasta water and add 1 ladle to your melted butter-pepper mixture.
- Drain the pasta and toss it in the pan with the butter, pepper, pasta water sauce.
- Turn off the heat and add the cheese in small handfuls, tossing with tongs until all the cheese in incorporated. It will form a creamy sauce to coat the pasta.
- Add another ladle of cooking water if needed (I add the 2nd ladle every time).
- Now season the pasta to taste with salt and drizzle with 2 Tbsp. of olive oil.
- Serve the pasta and spinach-bean mixture side by side (although, mixing them also tastes great!!)
Click here for printable recipe.