Kitchen Creations

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Deliciously Healthy!

Well, there is really nothing I like better than a recipe that is good for you but DOESN'T taste like it!  This is a recipe I found in an old Pampered Chef cookbook called, "It's Good For You".  I've adapted it slightly but not a ton.  It is so incredibly flavorful and creamy, but without the cream.  Their trick.... grating corn tortillas into the soup! When I first started making this I grated the tortillas by hand.  It's a hateful kind of job, but that must tell you how good the soup is because I did it often!  Now I stick the tortillas in my food processor and let it do the work for me.  A much better working situation, I must say.  The rest of the prep is extremely simple and the result is terrific.  I usually double the batch for our family so we have some great leftovers for lunches too. 

Get your soup on tonight with this healthy yet delicious meal!

Feelin' Mean, Lean & Green Chili 
(I also adapted the name a bit.  It's sort of a family joke.)
Ingredients:
8 corn tortillas, divided
2 tsp. olive oil, divided
1 cup chopped poblano chili peppers
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
1 tsp ground cumin
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
4 cups black eyed peas (or your favorite light colored bean)
1 1/4 cups salsa verde
1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro

Method:
1.)  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cut four of the tortillas in half and then into 1/2 inch strips. 
2.)  Toss with 1 tsp. olive oil and spread in a single layer on a baking sheets.
3.)  Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until crisp.  Stirring once.  Remove from oven.

4.)  Chop chili peppers (removing seeds and membranes) and onion.
5.)  Toss chicken with cumin in small bowl.
6.)  Grate or food process the remaining 4 tortillas.

7.)  Cook chicken in the remaining 1 tsp. of olive oil for approximately 5 minutes.
8.)  Add chili peppers and onions and cook until tender.
9.)  Add in minced garlic, cook additional 30 seconds.
10.)  Stir in broth, beans, salsa and grated tortillas.
11.)  Bring everything to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
12.)  Garnish with freshly snipped cilantro and with the baked tortilla strips.

Click here for printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment