Kitchen Creations

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Cinderella's Soup

I've had this recipe since high school, when I visited Germany for a month.  My host mother made this soup and I loved it so much that she gave me the recipe.  It took a bit of time for us to figure out amount conversions and English names for certain ingredients, namely the boullion, but we did it!  I've always thought of this as "Cinderella's Soup" because of the name.  We often have this on Christmas or New Year's Eve.  It's a hearty and flavorful soup that satisfies on a cold evening.

This is another simple recipe, but with HUGE flavor.  I hope you enjoy it, anytime of the day!

Mittenacht Suppe (Midnight Soup)
Ingredients:
Pat of butter or olive oil
2 lbs. chicken tenders, cooked & cubed
3 bunches of green onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 8 ounce can tomato paste
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 can kidney or black beans, drained
1 cup red wine
2 chicken boullion cubes (I've also used 1 - 2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock here for a thinner soup).

Method:
1.)  Brown onions, pepper & garlic in a pat of butter.
2.)  In a large soup pot, mix beans with tomato paste.
3.)  Add all other ingredients.
4.)  Simmer for 20 minutes.
5.)  Garnish with sour cream if desired.


Click here for printable version

No comments:

Post a Comment