Kitchen Creations

Monday, December 12, 2011

Come On Everybody and do the "ConGo"!!

This recipe comes from my mother-in-law, Conny.  Beyond just loving the name, I love making recipes from my youth or my husband's and sharing them with our children.  It's another way of passing on family history and love, in my mind anyway.  I find that sharing in the baking, aroma and eating of an old favorite can conjure up memories of times past like almost nothing else.  My boys love it.  I mean who wouldn't? Listening to old funny stories AND eating delicious treats!  There is nothing like the warmth of a kitchen, aroma of baked yumminess and time with each other to strengthen the bonds of family!  Well, except maybe for a family dance party!

Come on and "ConGo" with us!

Congo Squares   
Ingredients:
2 3/4 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup shortening or butter
3 eggs
1 cup chopped nuts (optional, I never put them in.  I don't like nuts or raisins in baked goods).
1 pakage chocolate chips
2 1/2 cups brown sugar (you could probably use less, they are quite sweet)

Method:
1.  Cream together butter/shortening & sugar.
2.  Add eggs, 1 at a time.
3.  Sift together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder & salt)
4.  Add sifted dry ingredients to butter mixture.
5.  Fold in chocolate chips and nuts (if desired)
6.  Spread in a 10 X 15 pan and bake at 350 for 30 - 40 minutes.

Click here for printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment