Kitchen Creations

Monday, December 19, 2011

An Apple A Day

On Saturday our family took a quick trip over to Johnson's Orchard, one of our favorite places in Yakima.  I can't tell you how much I adore going there when the air is crisp and cold and I can choose from over 8 different kinds of apples and 5-6 different kinds of pears.  My youngest son and I enjoy filling a box with every kind we can find to bring home and try.  When we got home, we couldn't wait to sample some of that crisp and juicy fruit we'd just chosen and I decided that it was time for another of our favorite fall recipes found in the Gooseberry Patch, "Flavors of Fall" cookbook (and ammended only slightly by me).  This one is super simple but oh so satisfying!!!  I was just telling my friend Shannon about it.  One of the best parts is the delicious "glaze" that is leftover in the pan.  So be sure you volunteer to do dishes that night!  You won't mind scraping the pan this time, you might even find yourself licking it clean - it's that good - I promise!!!

Sausage n' Apples
Ingredients:
1 lb. pkg of sausage (I have used links, sliced polish sausage & ground sausage.  ALL are good.  The best flavor comes from ground sausage, although the final presentation is less aesthetically pleasing than sausage links or sliced polish sausage.)
6 medium apples, cored, peeled & sliced
1 sweet onion, thinly sliced (optional, but it really adds great flavor & you don't notice it's there once it all cooks down).
1/2 cup sugar (I like using brown, but white is just fine too)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup water

Method:
Brown sausage in a large skillet, add onions and saute until translucent (about 5 min.).  Mix apples, sugar & spices and water together and add to skillet.  Cover and simmer until apples are tender, about 30 minutes.  It serves 4, just barely, so I'd advise doubling it if you have more than that!

1 comment: