Kitchen Creations

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Winner, Winner, Chickpea Dinner!

When my husband decided he wanted to change his diet to "mostly meatless", I scoured cookbooks and the internet for recipes that sounded like they would be filling and delicious as well as vegetarian.  I found this very simple recipe in my "Express Lane Meals" cookbook by Rachael Ray.  I love her and I love meals that you can make quickly!    The chickpeas (garbanzo beans) in this sauce make it very creamy and filling.  My youngest, who can be very hard to please when it comes to dinner, scrapes his plate clean after this meal. 

Enjoy a "Roman Holiday" tonight with your family!

Spaghetti alla Ceci
"Spaghetti with Chickpeas"
Ingredients: 
Salt
1 pound spaghetti (I also like to use whole wheat penne pasta)
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (I cut this in half for my little guy's sake)
3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced
1 14- ounce can of chickpeas, drained
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
Black pepper (to taste)
1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken/vegetable stock
1  14-ounce can crushed tomoatos
Grated Parmesan cheese.

Method:
In a large pot, bring water for pasta to boil.  Salt the water & cook the spaghetti according to box directions.
While the spaghetti cooks, heat olive oil in a  large skillet.  Add the red pepper flakes & garlic.
Place the chickpeas in a food processor & pulse until finely chopped.
Add the chickpeas to the skillet with the garlic & season them with thyme, salt & pepper.
Saute them for 3-4 minutes.
Add the wine or stock & cook down for about 30 seconds, then stir in the tomoatoes.
Drain the pasta & toss with the sauce.
Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese
ENJOY!

Click here for printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment