Kitchen Creations

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Recipes that make you smile

Do you have any of these?  Those recipes that you pull out and they instantly bring a smile to your face, maybe even a full blown grin?  This is one of those recipes for me.  My friend Regina made these muffins for my husband and I one morning while we were visiting.  They were so incredibly delicious!  When I needed a recipe for muffins to take to school a few months later, I immediately begged for her recipe.  She e-mailed it to me.  Somewhere in the transition from her recipe to my printed one, the ingredients for the crumb topping were altered a bit.  The amount of butter went from 1/4 cup to 1 cup.  Let me tell you, that slash and the 4 that follows it are extremely important to the final outcome of these muffins!!!  The muffins were disasterous, almost non-exsistent when you peeled the paper off.  The muffin tops, however, were the most decadent things you've ever tasted, which was good since they were the only thing I had to bring that day! While the muffin tops were amazing, I highly recommend the muffin and top together as a whole.  This has become a source of humor between the two of us.  I cannot make these muffins without thinking of my wonderful friend and the story behind my first attempt at making them.

May they bring a smile to your face, a big one!


Regina's "To Die For" Blueberry Muffins 

Ingredients:
1 ½ cups of flour (I used half whole wheat)
¾ cups of sugar
½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
Appx. 2/3 cup milk
1 Cup (or more) blueberries

For crumb topping:
½ cup sugar, ½ cup flour, ¼ cup butter

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
3. Place 1/3 cup oil in measuring cup. Add one egg and enough milk to make one cup and mix.
4. Mix egg mixture with flour mixture.
5. Fold in one cup (or more) blueberries.
6. Fill muffin cups with batter.
7. Mix sugar, flour and butter for crumb topping with fork until crumbly.
8. Sprinkle topping over muffins before baking.
9. Bake 20-25 minutes until done.


Click here for a printable version

No comments:

Post a Comment