Kitchen Creations

Thursday, November 17, 2011

What do you do when it snows?

Yesterday was the very first snow fall of the season here in Yakima, Washington.  It was lovely to watch the giant flakes fall from the sky.  I was at work and couldn't help but smile at the kids as they shrieked their joy at finding snow on the playground.  I confess to feeling rather kid-like myself.  I stood in it for 10 minutes, just letting it fall around me and enjoying the peaceful quiet that seems to accompany snow.  After that, all I wanted to do was go home, make some hot tea, put on Christmas music and bake (especially after reading that my friend Austyn was doing just that)!  So as soon as contractually possible, I grabbed my stuff and my kids and headed for home.  On went Pandora and Christmas music and out came the recipe for carmel corn from my friend's mom.  What could be better than ending the evening of the first snow fall with carmel corn and the movie White Christmas?  Yes, maybe I'm jumping the gun for some of you out there, but it felt so right.  I was literally dancing about my house, unable to contain the joy inside.  It was contageous.  All my guys joined in the singing and cooking and ALL of us enjoyed a night by the fire watching a great Christmas classic.

May you be filled with some delicious carmel corn & winter joy yourself!!

Carmel Corn  (Recipe by Vicky Kehrer)
Ingredients:
1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp vanilla

Method:
*  Melt butter in large saucepan.
*  Stir in sugar & syrup. 
*  Bring to a boil, boil for 5 minutes.
*  Stir occasionally.
*  Remove from heat.
*  Stir in salt, soda & vanilla
*  Pour mixture over popcorn.
*  Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hours, stirring every 15 mintues.
*  Cool on waxpaper

*** Warning!  This is definitely NOT health food, but it's oh so worth it!

Click here for printable version.

No comments:

Post a Comment