Kitchen Creations

Friday, November 4, 2011

C is for crunchy and that's good enough for me!!!

Last year I found a recipe for homemade granola that looked great. I made quite a few changes because I can never leave well enough alone. The result was one of the best tasting and best smelling items I'd ever made. It is great in cereal, in a yogurt parfait, over ice cream or just by itself. Make several batches and put it in a mason jar and it makes a great looking and great tasting gift!

Hope you enjoy this as much as my family does!!!

Groovy Granola (my younger son named it)

Ingredients:
2 cups jumbo oats
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (you can use sunflower seeds as well)
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
3/4 cup of nut mixture - (I use hazelnuts, almonds and roasted walnuts, all cut in halves)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup dried sweeten cranberries

Method:
Preheat oven to 275 degrees
Mix together the oats, seeds and nuts in a large bowl.
Heat the oil and honey in a large saucepan until melted, then remove the pan from the heat.
Stir cinnamon and vanilla into the melted honey mixture.
Add the oat mixture and stir well.

Spread out on one or two baking sheets.
Bake for about 50 minutes, until crisp, stirring occasionally to prevent the mixture from sticking.

Remove from the oven and mix in the dried cherries and cranberries.Leave to cool, then store in an airtight container (or share with a friend :))



Click here for printable version of recipe:

No comments:

Post a Comment