Kitchen Creations

Friday, November 11, 2011

My Ultimate Comfort Meal

Well, our computer contracted a nasty virus, so I've been kept from posting my favorite soup recipes for the past few days. I decided to make up for that by posting two recipes that, when put together, comprise my ultimate in comfort food.  I made these together this week and it warmed me to my toes.  My family, sitting around the table, talking and laughing and enjoying good food together.  What could be better?  These are simple foods with simple ingredients.  I often find, those are the best though.  I hope you agree.

Here's to your comfort!!!

Smashed Potato Soup  (my favorite & Nathanael's)
10 - 12 medium potatoes pealed, cooked
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
3 medium carrots, diced
3 stalks of celery, diced
1 medium-large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (14 1/2 oz) vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sourcream
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste

Saute the carrots, celery, onion  in olive oil for 4 minutes
Add garlic and saute for 1 minute more
Add potatoes and mash lightly
Stir milk and broth into the potatoes
Add in carrots, celery, onion & garlic
Stir in sour cream & salt and pepper

****This is a thick soup. If you like it thinner, add more broth or milk

Possible Toppings: Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Sliced Green Onions, Bacon pieces

And for dessert.....

Golden Apple Crisp  (made by Levi & myself)  
Ingredients:
*Filling -
12-15 golden delicious apples (peeled & sliced)
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. ground ginger
2 Tbsp. cinnamon (more if you love cinnamon)
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
4 Tbsp. lemon juice
*Crust Crumble
1/3 cup butter - softened
1 cup flour
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground ginger

Method:
1.)  Peel and slice apples and stir together with lemon juice.
2.)  Add sugar and spice to apples and stir together
3.)  Pour filling into pie pan
4.)  In medium bowl combine flour and butter, using fork or pastry cutter.
5.)  Add in oats, sugar and spices.
6.)  Sprinkle over apple mixture to cover the entire top - use all!!
7.)  Bake at 350 degrees for 45-1 hour - until top is golden and inside is bubbly.
8.)  Enjoy!!

Click here for printable links:  Smashed Potato Soup
                                             Golden Apple Crisp

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this soup! I enjoyed a couple bowls of it today and was warmed from the inside out! The best part was that I was eating my lunch in the company of Gretchen herself! What a treat! I will make this soup and have some fun toppings available. (cheese, sour cream, chives, bacon pieces, ect)

    ReplyDelete