Kitchen Creations

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Apple pie as a finger food!

My friend Lacie makes this amazing treat and once I'd tried it, I HAD to have the recipe.  I did add ginger & nutmeg to the apple mixture & vanilla to the glaze, but didn't mess with anything else.
I love that you can have apple pie without the plate and fork.  These bars are soooooo delicious.  You won't be able to stay away once you've tried them.  They look so rustic to me and I adore the rustic look.  If you're looking for a dessert sure to please everyone, look no further than this.  You won't be disappointed.

Mosey on up to these bars for a satisfying experience!!

Pastry:
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup shortening (I use butter flavor)
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup milk
Filling:
6 cups sliced, peeled apples
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 Tb flour
1-2 tsp cinnamon (depending on how you like cinnamon)
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
For Top:
1 egg white, lightly beaten
Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 to 3 tsp water
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Method:
1.) Combine flour and salt, then cut in shortening until it resembles coarse crumbs.
2.) Combine egg yolk and milk, add to flour mixture. Stir just until dough clings together.
3.)  Divide dough in half and on a slightly floured surface, roll half of dough into a 15 X 10 inch rectangle, transfer to greased 15 X 10 X1 inch baking pan (Lacie's note: I just use a cookie sheet that is about an inch deep and roll my dough to fit my pan).
4.) In a bowl, toss together filling ingredients; spoon over pastry in pan. 
5.) Roll out remaining dough to another 15 X 10 rectangle.  Place over filling.  Brush with egg white.
6.) Bake at 375 for 40 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool on wire rack.
7.) Combine powdered sugar and enough water to achieve a drizzling consistency. 
8.) Drizzle over warm pastry.  Cut into squares.

Click here for printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment