Kitchen Creations

Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Beauty of Leftovers

I recently made the absolutely delicious "Stuffed Acorn Squash" dish that I posted a couple of days ago.  Due to my tendency to want to adapt and "personalize" my recipes, making them more my own, I ended up with way more "stuffing" than I had squashes to fill.  What to do with the leftovers?  Hmmmm.....  I looked around my kitchen and cupboards and decided to go with a Mexican style Shepherd's Pie.  I was pretty pleased with the aesthetic and gustatory results.  I hope you will be too!

Ingredients:
5-6 medium potatoes (whatever your favorite kind is when you make mashed potatoes)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 egg
"Stuffed Acorn Squash" filling
or here's the ingredients if you just want to make this:
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 tsp. sage
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 medium green bell pepper,chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2  tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
2 cups corn
1/2 teaspoon salt
Several dashes hot red pepper sauce, to taste

Method:
1.)  Peel, cube and boil potatoes for about 10 minutes.
2.)  Mash potatoes together with milk, sour cream & Parmesan cheese.
3.)  Add egg to potato mixture.
4.)  Spread ground turkey mixture into a baking dish.
5.)  Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese if desired.
6.)  Top mixture with mashed potatoes. 
**You can do this with a spoon, but I was feeling creative and wanted to make leftovers look beautiful.  What can I say, I have fun with food!

  
7.)  Bake @ 350 degrees until turkey mixture is bubbling & potatoes are browned on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment