Kitchen Creations

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Remembering My Aunt Florence

My Aunt Florence was a great cook.  One of the most memorable parts of eating at her house though was not always the cooking, it was my Uncle George's prayers.  He was a Baptist minister and took his praying VERY seriously.  He could pray so long my aunt would have to reheat the entire dinner.  As a hungry kid, that was just torturous.  My aunt never seemed too upset by it.  Usually just an, "Oh George, dinner's cold now." and then bustled off to reheat things.  My Uncle George and Aunt Florence's house was our favorite place to visit when we lived on the Navajo Indian Reservation for a year.  They lived in Holbrook, 80 miles away, but it was a trip we made often, just to be with family.  My sister and I had a special table in the kitchen where my aunt would give us all kinds of great things to eat.  While we ate we looked out the window at what we called "Uncle George's Mountain".  It was a large rocky hill just past their backyard that and we loved to climb it and explore.  This dish is one of our favorite treats from Aunt Florence.  I made it for my own boys this week.  They liked it just as much as my sister and I did. 

My Aunt Florence has passed on but just one bite of this fruit salad and I was back in her kitchen, swinging my legs at my spot at the table and planning my next "mountain top" adventure.

Aunt Florence Salad  
Ingredients:
2 apples, peeled, cored and cubed
2 pears, peeled, cored and cubed
2 Tbsp. lemon or lime juice
2 bananas sliced
4 Tbsp. mayo
1 1/2 cups whip cream (more if you like)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Method:
1.)  Combine apples, pears and lemon or lime juice.
2.)  Stir in banana slices
3.)  Add mayo, whip cream and nuts.
4.)  Stir until mixed.
Enjoy!

Click here for printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment