Kitchen Creations

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Will gives it a NINE!!!

This is a recipe I picked out for our small group Bible study treat last week. The original comes from The Orange Patch Tastes of Fall, cookbook.  Again, our small group peeps were my taste-testers and our friend Will told me he'd give this recipe a nine.  Now Will doesn't give idle compliments, so this means a great deal!!  I myself was really pleased with how they turned out and with the amount of time and effort that went into them (not a ton!)  These are easily eaten with no utensils, which is nice when there are kids around.  If you like larger pieces of apples, I'd suggest just chopping the apples.  If you're into a smoother texture, try shredding the apples.  Either way, I think you're going to be happy with the results.

Dress your apples to the nines tonight!

Sour Cream Apple Squares 
Ingredients:
2 cups flour, sifted
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup chopped nuts (I used my food processor)
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sour cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg
2 cups apples, cored, peeled and chopped or shredded

Method:
1.)  Combine flour, sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl, mixing until crumbly.

2.)  Stir in nuts
3.)  Press 2 3/4 cups of the mixture into an ungreased 13 X 9 inch baking pan.

4.)  Add cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking soda, salt, sour cream, vanilla and egg to remaining flour and mix.
5.)  Fold in apples.

6.)  Spread evenly over pressed mixture.

7.)  Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes.

*** Makes about 18 servings

Click here for printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment