Kitchen Creations

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Fox-Hunting Sandwiches

This recipe is from my grandma.  Her name was Mildred, or Millie to friends.  I adored her.  She was a wonderful cook and made the best apples pies known to man.  This is a recipe for sandwiches she used to make for my grandpa when he went fox hunting. She named them "Stack Sandwiches" after the breed of fox hound my grandpa raised, "Stack".  My grandma wrapped them in tin foil so they could be heated near the campfire when the men were ready to eat their dinner. They were a big favorite with the guys who went fox hunting with my grandpa. My mom used to go along when she was a little girl, but she didn't like cheese on hers.  My grandma used to wrap the sandwiches and put a toothpick in the ones without cheese so my mom could have the ones she liked.  I love knowing a story behind a favorite recipe.  It makes me feel closer to my grandma somehow.  I'm glad to be able to share this with my boys and now with you. 

 Hopefully it will pass to many more generations!

Stack Sandwiches 
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 pounds ground turkey
1/2 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp. mustard
1 can of chicken gumbo soup
dash of garlic salt or powder
1 Tbsp. BBQ sauce
salt and pepper to taste

***Hamburger buns & cheese slices

Method:
1.)  Saute the chopped onions in the olive oil.
2.)  Add the meat to onions and brown.
3.)  Once the meat has cooked, add all the other ingredients and mix together
4.)  Pile the mixture onto some buns, place some cheese on top to melt (if you like it) and ENJOY!!!

Click here for printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment