Kitchen Creations

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Easy, Peasy, Macaroni & Cheesy!

This recipe in it's original form was from my friend Lacie. My husband lovingly typed out and compiled all my favorite, well-loved and well-used recipes into a beautiful cookbook for me and so I can't tell what I altered, if anything, and what was there to begin with. I have a feeling I changed things because, well, that's what I do. The name is one I came up with. At the time I was reading a series of books set in England and the main character used the word "fab" quite often to exclaim over items or food she loved, thus the name for this amazing and easy dish. (On a related note, I got my current favorite word, "gobsmacked" from that series of books as well.). I love that the spinach and broccoli are part of the dish, so you don't have to worry about sides, you've got it all in one!  If you like a saucier macaroni & cheese, double everything except the noodles, broccoli and spinach.

If you and your family like macaroni and cheese, you've got to give this "Fab" recipe a try. You will be absolutely gobsmacked by the results!!!

Fab Mac n’ Cheese 
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. Olive OIl
1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
1 ¾ cup of milk
3 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. paprika
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
6 Tbsp. grated Romano cheese
1 box of favorite noodles
1 ½ cups broccoli florets
5 cups spinach


Method:
1.)  Boil pasta according to box directions.
2.)  Saute Onions in large pan.  Add 1 cup of milk and heat.
3.)  Pour remaining ¾ cup of milk into medium bowl and whisk in flour and spices.

4.)  Add milk/spice mixture to saucepan and cook 2-3 minutes, whisking constantly, until thickened.

5.)  Remove from heat, whisk in cheddar & cover.
6.)  Cook broccoli and spinach to desired color & texture.

7.)  Drain broccoli and spinach and add to cheese sauce.

8.)  Stir pasta into cheese sauce over medium-low heat until heated through.

Click here for printable version

No comments:

Post a Comment