Kitchen Creations

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Make 'em all - Part 2

This is the second of the "Make 'em all" trilogy that began with coffee cake.  This recipe appealed to me right away because it looked incredible and it includes hazelnuts.  I adore hazelnuts and their flavor. As I've stated before, the picture draws me in first.  It's how I decide that I want to make it. Occasionally the ingredients will dissuade me, but often times not.  In this one, the ingredients just solidified my desire to make it.  It also made my house smell INCREDIBLE while it baked!!!This one is not incredibly sweet and can be somewhat dry, yet hugely flavorful.  I would recommend pairing it with a great cup of coffee or tea for an absolutely wonderful time of relaxing indulgence.

Indulge and Enjoy!

Hazelnut Shortbread 
Ingredients:
3 cups cake flour or regular flour (I used white whole wheat)
3/4 cup powdered sugar (also called 10X sugar - never knew that!)
1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and ground
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate, melted (I used chocolate chips)

Method:
1.)  Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees
2.)  Stir together flour, powdered sugar, hazelnuts and salt in a medium size bowl.
3.)  Cut butter into flour mixture with fork or pastry blender, until it resembles coarse crumbs.
4.)  Knead mixture together until it holds together and then divide dough in half
5.)  Place each half on an ungreased baking sheet and pat out into 9 inch circles, then crimp edges.
6.)  Cut each circle into 12 equal wedges, but do not separate.
7.)  Bake in 325 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown.
8.)  Drizzle with chocolate, if using, when shortbread is hot.
9.)  Cool 10 minutes, then recut to separate wedges.  Cool completely

Click here for printable recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment