Kitchen Creations

Friday, January 27, 2012

Eggcellent!

Since we've gone, "mostly meatless", quiche has become a favorite meal for us.  I love any dish that combines main dish and sides all in one.  I also love quiche because you can use whatever is on hand, whatever is in season and make it differently each and every time.  My boys love it when I add bacon or sausage and broccoli, spinach are ALWAYS part of the mix.  Now when it comes to pie crust I have difficulty.  Many nights my husband has come home to mess and tears because I can't get the crust to roll out and stay together.  It falls apart on me, crumbles, rips, tears and any number or terrible things.  Until now!  I've found a recipe that uses cream cheese and it not only tastes divine, it rolls and out beautifully and doesn't fall apart on me!  Feel free to use whatever your favorite flaky crust is, but I'll share my new favorite with you just the same.

Try some!  It's eggcellent!

Herby Quiche  
Ingredients:
Crust:
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp flour (I used pastry flour for a flakier crust)
1 Tbsp white sugar
¼ tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter
3 ounces cold cream cheese
2-3 Tbsp. cold ½ & ½

Quiche:
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
3-4 cups vegetables - any combination you love - mushrooms, zucchini, red & green bell peppers, broccoli, spinach, etc.
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup cream cheese or sour cream (or combination)
3 large eggs
½ cup shredded cheese (whatever your favorite is)
1 tsp. marjoram
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. rosemary
¼ tsp. thyme

Method:
Crust:
1.)  Whisk together flour, sugar & salt in a large bowl.
2.)  With pastry cutter, 2 knives or a fork, cut in butter and cream cheese


3.)  Drizzle 2-3 Tbsp. ½ & ½ over and mix with fork until dough begins to gather.
4.)  Roll out and place into a 9 inch pie pan, flute the edges
                            
5.)  Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.

Quiche:
1.)  Saute medium onion in olive oil.
2.)  Add prepared vegetables and garlic, saute until tender
3.)  Pour cooked vegetables into pie shell.

4.)  Sprinkle with shredded cheese
5.)  Whisk together cream cheese/sour cream & eggs & spices.
6.)  Pour egg mixture over cheese and vegetables.

7.)  Cook for 25 minutes, or until eggs are set and quiche is golden brown.

Click here for printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment