Kitchen Creations

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Somewhere between a biscuit and a muffin.

This recipe was also one tested on my small group.  They have become my official taste testers for any sweet treats.  I don't think it's a job any of them are upset about, thankfully.  So far, it's been mostly good reviews and if it isn't, well then you certainly won't be reading about it here!!!  These "puffs" are a cross between a biscuit and a muffin.  A nice tall glass of milk or a steaming cup of tea or coffee would be the ideal accompaniment.  I based this loosly on a recipe found in a Gooseberry Patch, Tastes of Fall cookbook.  I adapted it heavily because as much as I love baking sweet treats, even I draw the line at too much sugar and butter.  I cut the sugar in half and the oil by a third.  I also decided NOT to roll the baked muffin in melted butter and then in 1 cup of sugar cinnamon mix.  Feel free to add this back in if it sounds good to you.  I was very pleased with the end result, it is perfect for breakfast or a snack.

Spice Puffs   
Ingredients:
3 cups of flour (used white whole wheat)
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. of cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of oil
2 eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 cup milk

For topping:
2 Tbsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. sugar

Method:
1.)  Combine flour, salt, baking powder and 2 Tbsp. of cinnamon.
2.)  In separate bowl, mix sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla together and blend for 1 minute @ medium speed.
3.)  Add eggs mixture to flour mixture and add milk, mixing well.
4.)  Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full of batter.
5.)  Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with the cinnamon/sugar mixture
6.)  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
*** Makes 12-14 muffins.

Click here for printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment